C and D

C and D

Monday, May 23, 2011

"Do you know how long I've waited to sit on the beach with my grandchild?"

~ Nana whispered to Decky Saturday while they were sitting on the beach playing in the sand. It was really really sweet, a very cool moment for me to see the two of them together and just an awesome morning overall :)



Nana and Pop were up this way for a couple days at the end of last week thru this weekend and we had a great time. It is so wonderful having family so close - they live 6.5 hrs away but seriously, that's nothing compared to a 3.5 hr flight and the months that we had to plan these trips to see each other out. Declan has gotten to see and play with Nana and Pop now 4 different times since we've been here! That's almost twice a month :) I couldn't be happier that Declan is getting to really really know his grandparents - I think kids 100% need to have that sense of family and while Paul and I do our best, its so much better when he gets to spend time with our whole family and feel how much he is loved instead of just being told. 

One thing I love and want to note after this trip is how great the Hogan's are - they are just genuinely good people. I feel like every time we are together (which, remember, for the last 5 years we've been in Colorado so really only once or twice a year), I learn more about not only them but Paul as well which I LOVE. Their family - is about family. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, is more important and I would venture to say every single day they live this out. Both Paul and Nancy didn't get married until their mid thirties and we both just started having kids so Carol and Paul have been waiting for this for almost 20 years at this point..........now, in 1 year, they have 3 grand babies - so when she was hugging Declan at the beach and said, "do you know how long I've been waiting to sit on the beach with my grandchild?", I know that was coming straight from her heart and she was probably about to burst at that moment. Its just very cool for me to be around that kind of love (seeing as I am the cheesiest person alive) and especially seeing my son around it. He is a super lucky kid to have two families that fall all over him :)  And I am very lucky to have married into such an awesome family as well - Carol, Paul, my Paul, Nancy and their whole extended crew.

Ok back on track - not only is it great for Declan to have Nana and Pop here, its so lovely for Paul and I as well. I got to run some errands SOLO (never ever ever happens), Paul and I actually took a nap without worrying if Declan was going to wake up from his, and we got a night out on the town while Decky stayed back with the best babysitters ever! When they say it takes a village to raise a child, its true - and while our village is pretty spread out, I can't say enough how wonderful it is when we are together.

Thank you for Nana and Pop for making the trek up here and taking your time to spend a few days with us! We know you have a lot going on right now back in Georgia with the sweet twin boys but to have you here and see you with Declan makes all three of us very very very happy. We miss you and hope to see you again soon!!!!