C and D

C and D

Sunday, December 11, 2011

What's in a name?

Well, this post is not to announce the name of little little buddy, so mom, Carol and Nancy, sorry to bust your bubbles ;) But in church this morning the sermon was on Jesus and all of His different names...................God, Lord, Savior, etc etc etc....and what they mean. The pastor started out by saying how people used to name their children based on meaning and nowadays its more about popularity or how it sounds with your other children's names or you like the way it sounds or whatever. But meaning has been lost somewhere along the way - and this totally hit a cord with me. I'm not judging anyone - I really don't care what other people name their children or why - but I do care about what I name my child and why. And yes I'm cheesy, and yes the meaning MEANS everything to me. I very rarely do anything haphazardly and while I do overanalyze ummmmmmmmmm pretty much everything in my life (apology #439 to my dear husband who deals with that daily), I have agonized over what to name our children. Declan has a pretty badass name in my opinion and it has a ridiculous amount of meaning behind it. There's many different layers - its Irish, paying homage to my husband and his heritage. St Declan is a saint in the Catholic church of Ireland, again, paying homage to Paul and his family. It means "full of goodness", which he is and I know he will remain. His initials are "DB" which started as a massive joke between Paul and Bill but turned into much more. "DB" was my father's grandfather, David Bradley, who they called "DB". Brady, his middle name, has meaning as well. Decky was conceived (ooops too much info?!?) in Boston where the quarterback is Tom Brady. My proud Irish husband is a humongous Notre Dame fan - Brady Quinn was the quarterback there......and when he graduated he got drafted by the Denver Broncos, the year Decky was born. I might be missing something but those are the big ones.........so we didn't just like the name Declan Brady. It has a ton behind it....and I love that and I couldn't be more proud of him, even though most people are like "huh....Deeee-clan?!?!" :) It happens. Apparently there are a couple shows on tv now with the main character, Declan, so his name is now becoming a little more popular.
  So with all the meaning behind Declan Brady, I've put a lot of pressure on myself and Paul to come up with a name of equal meaning for the little little buddy. We are sticking with the Irish theme, absolutely. I love it, I'm so proud to be married to such a proud man of his heritage and I love celebrating that. But that means that we have to find another Irish name that has a very cool meaning (or at least cool to us) and can be spelled by this child. Some Irish names are a liiiiiittle tricky :) We've had a heckuva time coming up with something but we have 2 right now that we both really like. Well...I like one more and Paul likes the other. Go figure ;) We will see what happens come late Feb, early March.......either way though, I really have enjoyed the process of name searching. I'm not Irish so its opened up a whole new world to me, one that I have really come to embrace. I know some people think I'm crazy and "why can't you just pick a name that you like just because you like it" but I don't know. I have to have meaning. I just do...........its who I am to the core. A cheesy cheesy cheesy son of a gun. But my goal is to pass along this passion, if you will, to the boys and they will understand why they are named what they are and live up to its meaning :) No pressure, boys.