C and D

C and D

Sunday, November 28, 2010

This is what our freezer looks like right now:


Mainly ALL food for Declan. Around the time I stopped breastfeeding, Declan was really starting to get into real people food and seeing as I live outside of Boulder, every person in the world was asking me, "oh, so you're definitely making your own baby food.......RIGHT?!?!" So I figured I'd look into it. Part of it was I was feeling guilty that I couldn't breastfeed anymore, part was that it was wayyyyy cheaper, and part was selfish - I like to cook so I figured this is just another excuse to cook more and clean less (Paul's the major dish washer in our house) :) I bought this book:


and started cooking. It has been AWESOME. I absolutely love it and I love knowing that Declan is getting fresh, healthy, mostly organic food. This summer and fall was especially great as I would go to the farmers market on Saturday, spend about $10-15 on fresh produce and he would eat for weeks. It has everything from basic sweet potatoes and butternut squash (something I had never made before and definitely wouldn't have thought to give Declan) to fun combos that he LOVES like peas, edamame and apples. The fruit recipes are great, Paul even eats the cinnamon apple one I make. It kind of breaks the rules about how everything thinks babies should eat bland food - we found out EARLY that Declan loves flavor (he was eating guac and salsa around 5 months) so there's tons of spices that the authors put in, totally safe, and yummy for the baby. Highly recommend this book if anyone is interested in making their own baby food! Plus there are some delicious recipes in the back for mommy and daddy ;) Can't go wrong there!

This is what it looks like before. This took about 30 mins from start to finish and Declan will eat it for weeks! Carrots and ginger, butternut squash and cinnamon apple raisins......YUM! All you have to do is freeze these, pop 'em out, put them in freezer bags and you have little individual portions to warm back up when your baby's hungry! Declan eats 4 of them at a time but who's counting.........